One day I was trying to write a grocery list, but my daughter was running in circles yelling like kids sometimes do, and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed. I called my sister asking her for easy meal ideas, and she sent me a link to a recipe for chicken bacon quesadillas with a ranch dipping sauce that she swore was restaurant quality. I took the basic idea and ran with it, and I’ve made them at least once every few weeks since then!
My toddler is not the biggest fan of melted cheese (kid quirks!) but she will eat the chicken, bacon, cheese and ranch components of this meal separately. Usually she won’t touch the tortilla. I like to serve these quesadillas with a nice green salad or sautéed asparagus, but I imagine it would pair nicely with a number of things. Throw some diced tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms straight into the quesadilla and call it done. Do what you want to do, that’s my main cooking philosophy.
I hope you like these as much as I do!
Chicken bacon “ranch” quesadillas
Please note- the ingredient amounts in this recipe are flexible. I usually make up a big batch and eat leftovers throughout the week.
- Tortillas. I used flour, but whole wheat would work just fine.
- Chicken. I usually use three large chicken breasts.
- Bacon. I like a lot of bacon, and usually use one 12-16 oz package. Sometimes I use some of the bacon for other things. This is pretty adaptable.
- Shredded cheese
- Plain greek yogurt or sour cream. I usually use about 2/3 of the 1 pound sour cream container, or whatever I have on hand. I’ve definitely used greek yogurt too. Just keep in mind that if you are using less you will want to scale down the spices as well.
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. oil- olive or canola.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the ranch sauce. Combine yogurt or sour cream, dill, garlic, salt and pepper, and oil in small bowl (or straight in the sour cream container!) Stir thoroughly, then place in fridge to chill. It will be thick. One day I plan to try thinning it out with some sort of milk, but I haven’t experimented with that yet.
- Cook bacon in skillet. Set aside.
- Cook chicken. I like to put the chicken breasts in a pot of water with some random spices thrown in (to add a little bit of flavor, but most of the flavor will be added later) for about 20 minutes. Just make sure the chicken gets up to 165 degrees f.
- Let chicken cool enough to handle, then shred into large bowl. Crumble bacon in same bowl and combine.
- Spoon desired amount of chicken bacon mixture onto one tortilla. Add cheese, then top with another tortilla. Heat in skillet over medium heat approximately 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for about the same amount of time.
- Cut quesadilla in half and into wedges and top with ranch sauce. Alternatively, serve with the ranch on the side for dipping.